We asked the Genesis 2011 facebook group if they had any advice for our new Genesis 2012 participants. At first the advice was not very serious, but after a few participants started posting comments, we got some advice that we think is really useful! If we had to summarize the advice from everyone: BRING A HUGE FAN!
Here are some of the posts and suggestions we received:
- “Keep track of your phone. So many people lost them.”
- “Bring a fan!!”
- “Agreed!!! The biggest one you can, don’t bring a small one thinking you’re smart. It’s hot and there’s no AC.”
- “Don’t all order chinese food at the same time”
- “Be ready to hear the world COMMUNITY! And to have an unbelievable experience!”
- “Don’t hesitate to reach out to a C.E. or an intern!”
- “For people who want a quick bite on campus, GO TO EINSTEINS!! Their bagels are really good.”
- “No matter how much or little you are appreciating your experience while on campus, I can almost guarantee that you will appreciate it even more when you get home and with each passing day after taht. That may sound like a somewhat irrelevant thing to keep in mind while at Genesis, but I think it really puts things in perspective. Also, there are only 2 showers to a hall!!! It’s smart to shower at unusual times ”
- “Make sure to always be yourself and be strong in what you believe in. Keep an open mind and hear what others have to say, but trust that they will do the same for you. I think that’s probably the most important thing that I learned on Genesis, and I wis I had been more confident about it going in.”
- “Be willing to broaden your horizons even if it means simply accepting the way someone else does things. Also, save your summer reading/assignments until after the Genesis program is done if you can. Enjoy every moment of your time and don’t waste it inside of your dorm room. Socialize!”
We also asked the Genesis 2011 Participants to describe Genesis in a 6 word memoir. Here is our favorite:
“The green monster has air conditioning!”
So in short, there is no air conditioning, bring a fan, and have fun while being yourself! We can’t wait to meet all of you!